Wednesday, June 27, 2012

It was 10 years ago today when my life changed FOREVER!


Part 1

It was 10 years ago today at approximately June 27, 2002 5:50PM.  I was working as a banker at Wells Fargo and we had only 10 minutes before the branch closed.  I had scolded my other co-workers and told them that if anyone else were to walk through that door, they had to help them because once the clock strikes 6, I was running out that door!

As I turn to my computer I can see at the corner of my eye someone walks through the door.  I pick up the handset of my telephone to pretend I was on a phone call in case the customer that walks in decides to come to my desk.  As I feel the footsteps of the customer walk closer and closer, I kept thinking to myself “Why are the other bankers not stopping to help the customer as I already told them I will not stay late tonight…”

Within seconds someone sits at the chair across my desk and says, “What’s up girl?!”
I look up to see a familiar and very handsome face but I could not quickly figure out who it could be.  My jaw dropped when I realized it was an old friend I had cut off in any form of communication approximately one year ago.

I jump out of my seat and shrieked with delight!  He then says, “Well are you going to give me a hug or just stand there?”

I get ready to lunge over to hug my friend and then made a split second comment “Umm are you suppose to be here or is FBI going to run into the doors after you….I work at a bank you know and I need to keep my job!”

With a confused look on his face and then a laugh he said, “Girl, you better quit playing I am home!  Give me a hug NOW!”

I hug him without hesitation, as I could not believe my good friend Colin Yip was officially home!  He had been incarcerated for nearly 8 years at the age of 15 years old and is now 24 years old. I was stunned, excited and nervous all at the same time.  I cared about my friend in ways I could never figure out or understand, but I cut all ties with him when I realized he was in love with me and I wasn’t sure what I felt for him.  After all, in all honestly it wasn’t my dream to marry a convict or even ex-convict, so I had to use my head and allow my heart to bleed for nearly a year.
I then ask, “So how long have you been out?” 
Colin replies “Oh I got out this morning!”
My stomach did a back flip and my heart did a thump and I respond, “And WOW you came here to my job?” 
Colin answers, “Well no I went to Arden Mall first…”
The laughs and giggles kicked in and from that moment, I knew my life was going to change forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment